European Graduate School EGS
As of February 2016, The National Commission for Further and Higher Education in Malta has licensed The European Graduate School (EGS) within The European Qualifications Framework (EQF) as a University (Licence number: 2015:007), offering the following programmes:
- Master of Arts in Philosophy, Art and Social Thought
- Master of Arts in Expressive Arts Therapy with a minor in Psychology
- Master of Arts in Expressive Arts Coaching and Consulting
- Master of Arts in Musical, Literary and Visual Thought
- Master of Arts in Expressive Arts Conflict Transformation and Peacebuilding
- PhD in Expressive Arts
- PhD in Philosophy, Art and Social Thought
- PhD in Literary, Musical and Visual Thought
The European Graduate School University (EGS) has two Divisions:
Founded in 1994, EGS offers degree programs, as well as continuing education, for practicing professionals on a Graduate and Post-Graduate level. Its uniquely dynamic academic setting in its campus in Saas-Fee high up in the Swiss Alps - allows a creative encounter with the foremost practitioners and thinkers in Expressive Arts (Therapy, Education, Coaching, Consulting, Conflict Transformation and Peacebuilding) and in Philosophy, Art and Critical Thought (Architecture, Art, Contemporary Philosophy, Cultural Studies, Film, Literary Theory, Literature, Media Studies, Performance Art, Photography, and Video).
The Expressive Arts programs in the Arts, Health and Society Division take place within an interdisciplinary approach grounded in the concept of poiesis - our capacity to shape the world and thereby ourselves. Poiesis through play, art and ritual takes us into the alternative world of the imagination, thereby expanding our range of play and providing us with a greater sense of our own resources. Education in the Expressive Arts at EGS aims to bring together theoretical understanding, practical efficacy and experiential and aesthetic learning by a combination of lectures, discussions and in-class art-making. As part of our learning frame, we offer educational excursions in the beautiful countryside around Saas-Fee, as well as sessions of community art, performances and workshops. Our goal is to help students become prepared to creatively meet the challenges that they will face in their work and in their lives.
The Application and Admission process at the European Graduate School EGS is rigourous and personal. We welcome independent and mature students who can work well within a 23-day or 46-day intensive residency program. Our students choose their own emphasis and area of concentration when they select their Masters and Doctoral / PhD thesis projects. The language of instruction in the Masters and PhD programs is English, though theses can, in principle, also be written in German, French or Spanish or with an adequate translation.
Financial Aid is available through Matching Scholarships and work/study positions. Students residing in the USA are eligible for US Federal Student Loans. Students residing in Canada are eligible for Canadian Student Loans.
The Arts, Health and Society Division offers graduate and postgraduate degrees and certificates:
- Master of Arts (MA) in Expressive Arts Therapy
- Master of Arts (MA) in Expressive Arts Coaching and Consulting
- Master of Arts (MA) in Expressive Arts Conflict Transformation and Peacebuilding
- Certificate of Advanced Graduate Studies (CAGS)
- Doctorate (PhD) in Expressive Arts: Therapy, Coaching, Education and Social and Environmental Change